Bryant/Pattengill Thursday Notes: April 30, 2015
In this issue:
- Teacher & Staff Appreciation Week
- Second Grade Transition Night
- PTO General Meeting on May 7
- Coffee with the Principals
- Reading Workshop Slideshow
- Kudos & Thank You
- Marquee Sign at Bryant
- Fifth Grade Promotion Ceremony
- Prizes Needed for Ice Cream Social
- Field Day at Bryant
- An Evening of Music with the Music Teachers of AAPS
- Ice Cream Social: Family Donations Due Tomorrow
- Disney’s The Little Mermaid at Pioneer High School
- Free Parenting Workshop
- Great Lake Scrip Order Forms Due
- Visit the AA PTO Thrift Shop
In this issue
Teacher & Staff Appreciation Week: We will be celebrating Bryant/Pattengill teachers and staff next week, May 4-8. We have some wonderful events planned, but we need your family’s help to make the week truly special for our teachers and staff:
- Monday: Please have your child make a card or draw a picture for his or her teacher, and bring it to school. Cards and drawings for other staff and specials teachers are also welcomed and appreciated.
- Tuesday: Please have your child bring a flower for his or her teacher. As with the cards, flowers for other staff and specials teachers are also welcomed and appreciated. Please send the flowers to school with your child.
- Wednesday: The PTO will be hosting a luncheon for teachers and staff at both schools. Help is still needed, especially with set up and clean up. If you can help, please sign up here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ENJITzYV7_I0cWzA_SnpjQjfAU639sVlqb3QvajJ2_w/edit?usp=sharing
- Friday: The PTO will be having dessert day for the teachers and staff. Send a favorite sweet treat to school on Friday for the teachers. There will be a designated drop-off location in the lobby/office area of each school. Please drop off all dessert contributions by 11am! See the above link to sign up to help with set up or clean up, or to drop off a dessert. Please remember that Bryant and Pattengill are no-nut schools.
Thank you in advance for helping to show our appreciation for our awesome teachers and staff. Questions? Contact Laura Gultekin at: email@example.com.
Second Grade Transition Night: An informational meeting will be held on Wednesday, May 6, 6:30-7:30pm at Pattengill for parents of students transitioning from second to third grade next year. Come learn all about student life at Pattengill! Childcare provided.
PTO General Meeting on May 7: Mark your calendar for the last Bryant/Pattengill Parent-Teacher Organization (PTO) General Meeting of the school year: Thursday, May 7, 7:30-8:30pm, at Pattengill. Childcare is provided. Enhance your child’s educational experience by getting involved in the PTO and learning how you can contribute to our school community. We will also be voting on the nominations for the 2015-2016 PTO Executive Board, and discussing possible options for fundraisers next year.
Coffee with the Principals: Join Mrs. Heyward and Mrs. Alston for Coffee with the Principals on Wednesday, May 13, 9-10am at the home of Carmen and Chris Andrianopoulos, 3704 Knollwood Circle, Ann Arbor, 48108. We hope to see you there!
Reading Workshop Slideshow: On Tuesday night, Bryant Media Specialist Mrs. Idzikowski gave a presentation on how to find good books for your child, the benefits of reading aloud vs. independent reading, and tips for encouraging your child to read. If you missed it, the presentation can be found here: http://www.slideshare.net/mamalibrarian/two-kinds-of-reading. Thank you, Mrs. I, for this helpful information!
Kudos to Mrs. Tchalo and her awesome crew for organizing an amazing International Festival! Mrs. Lim and Mr. Hagen did a fabulous job with the fashion show participants. All of our teachers, staff, and students created outstanding representations of their chosen countries. Thank you to all of the parent volunteers who provided food from their home countries to share with everyone. Thank you for all of the donated gifts that were raffled off. It was a fun and exciting evening – thank YOU for joining us!
Thank You to Principal Heyward and Ms. Midura for stepping in and assisting with updating the Bryant marquee last week. You are truly appreciated!
Help Wanted: Volunteer Opportunities
Marquee Sign at Bryant: Do you have 30 minutes a week to help out Bryant School? We need you! The marquee sign in front of Bryant needs to be changed every week or so to promote upcoming events throughout the school year. This takes 30 minutes a week at most. If you are interested, please contact Carmen Atkins at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fifth Grade Promotion Ceremony: The 5th grade promotion ceremony will take place on Thursday, June 11 at 2:00pm in the Pattengill Cafeteria, with the reception in the Gym directly following, around 3:00pm. We need a small group (4-6) of 4th grade parents to serve cookies and juice at the event. If you can make this small but fun commitment, or are interested in joining the planning committee, please contact Jennifer Manning at: email@example.com or 734-945-6471.
Prizes Needed for Ice Cream Social: If you or your business are able to donate a prize or experience for the raffle or auction at this year’s Ice Cream Social (May 15 at Pattengill), please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Your donation will also count as your family donation, too! Many area merchants such as A2 Electric, Al Dente, Ann Arbor Music Center, A2SO, Applied Fitness Solutions, Best Way Carpet Cleaning, BTB Burrito, Busch’s, Café Zola, Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History, Colonial Lanes, Costco, Detroit Red Wings, DIA, Domino’s Pizza, Elevation Burger, Georgetown Country Club, Knights, Lake Forest Golf Club, Leslie Science and Nature Center, Lexi’s Toy Box, Molly Maid, Oz’s Music, Perfectly Posh, Putterz, The Hands-On Museum, Thirty-One Gifts, Tennis Lessons by Tom Pullen, Tony Sacco’s, Wide World, Xtreme Bounce, Zap Zone, and Zippy Auto Wash aresupporting our schools by donating great prizes. Please tell them that you appreciate their support! If you have tickets to a concert or sporting event, or have a talent you could share, these would make great prizes, too. Thank you for considering how you can contribute to this important fundraiser for our schools. Questions? Contact Lisa McKarns at: email@example.com or 734-904-3565.
Field Day at Bryant: We’re looking for fun, energetic volunteers for Bryant’s Field Day on Friday, June 5, 2:00pm (rain date: June 8). We need assistance with setup (11:30am arrival), games (1:00pm arrival), and a coordinator to work with the gym teacher and assemble the volunteers. Please join us for an exciting day of fun and games! To volunteer, contact Carmen Atkins at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
An Evening of Music with the Music Teachers of AAPS: You are invited to “An Evening of Music” on Friday, May 1, 7:30pm, at Forsythe Middle School Auditorium (1655 Newport Rd.). Many AAPS music teachers will be sharing their talents – I will be singing and playing guitar with a folk trio. Suggested donations are $10/adult and $5/student, and all proceeds will go to the Cooperative Outreach Music Program (COMP), which underwrites the cost of private music instruction to promising students of limited means. I would love to see Bryant/Pattengill families there! – Kelly Krohn, Bryant Vocal Music Teacher
Ice Cream Social: Family Donations Due Tomorrow – Thank you to all who’ve sent in their family donations for the Ice Cream Social (May 15 at Pattengill). If you haven’t done so yet, please turn in your cash or check donations ($5/family) by tomorrow, Friday, May 1. Please make checks payable to Bryant/Pattengill PTO. These donations will be used to purchase great prizes for the event’s raffle, including an iPod Mini. The class in each school with the highest percentage of donations will win an ice cream or popsicle party!
Disney’s The Little Mermaid at Pioneer High School: Bring the family and go “Under the Sea” with Ariel, Sebastian, Flounder, and Ursula in this Disney classic on stage at Pioneer! A few Bryant/Pattengill students are in the show, so come support our budding actors. Tickets may be purchased atshowtix4u.com, or at the performances. Remaining shows are on May 1, 2, and 3.
Free Parenting Workshop: B/P school social worker Elizabeth Elster will be hosting the second of two FREE parenting workshops on Tuesday, May 5, 4:00-5:30pm at Pattengill. Parents will learn simple techniques to help decrease negative behaviors, increase positive behaviors, and strengthen their relationship with their child. You are invited to attend the second workshop, even if you missed the first one. Questions? Contact Elizabeth Elster at: email@example.com.
Great Lake Scrip Order Forms Due: Order forms for Great Lake Scrip gift cards are due back to the school offices by Wednesday, May 6. Payment must accompany your order. All orders will be distributed on Thursday, May 14. Click here for instructions on how to order online. Thank you! Questions? Contact Shannon Kotre at: firstname.lastname@example.org or Michelle Muckstadt at: email@example.com.
Visit the Ann Arbor PTO Thrift Shop: Located at 2280 S. Industrial Hwy., the Thrift Shop supports our schools and students. Shop, donate, and support AAPS!
Mark Your Calendars
- Mon. May 4: NWEA Testing begins for Bryant students
- Mon. May 4 – Fri. May 8: Teacher & Staff Appreciation Week
- Tues. May 5: Parenting Workshop, 4-5:30pm, Pattengill
- Wed. May 6: Second to Third Grade Transition (students), 9:30-11am, Pattengill
- Wed. May 6: Second to Third Grade Transition, Parent Informational Night (childcare provided), 6:30-7:30pm, Pattengill
- Thurs. May 7: School Improvement Team (SIT) Meeting, 4:15-5:30pm, Pattengill
- Thurs. May 7: PTO Executive Board Meeting, 6:15-7:15pm, Pattengill Media Center
- Thurs. May 7: PTO General Meeting, 7:30-8:30pm, Pattengill (ALL families welcome, childcare provided)
- Mon. May 11: Fifth Grade Band and Orchestra Concert, 6:30pm, Pattengill
- Wed. May 13: Coffee with the Principals, 9-10am, 3704 Knollwood Circle
- Wed. May 13: Fifth Grade Band and Orchestra Concert, 2pm, Pattengill
- Fri. May 15: Ice Cream Social, 6:30-8:30pm, Pattengill
- Tues. May 19: Restaurant Day at Tony Sacco’s
- Tues. May 19: Second Grade Spring Sing, 7-8pm, Bryant Gym
- Thurs. May 21: First Grade Spring Sing, 7-8pm, Bryant Gym
- Fri. May 22: Pattengill Field Day (Rain date Fri., May 29), 1:15-3:15pm
- Mon. May 25: Memorial Day – No School for Students
- Sat. May 30: Science Olympiad, Pioneer High School
- Fri. June 5: Bryant Field Day (Rain date Mon., June 8), 2pm
- Thurs. June 11: Second Grade Recognition Ceremony & “Clap Out” (families welcome), 9:30am, Bryant
- Thurs. June 11: Fifth Grade Promotion Ceremony (families welcome), 2pm, Pattengill
- Fri. June 12: Flag Ceremony & “Clap Out” (families welcome), 9am, Pattengill
- Fri. June 12: Last Day of School, Half Day (Release Time: 11:51am); Report Cards Go Home
Bryant/Pattengill Website: a2schools.org/bryantpattengill.home/home
PTO Website: www.bryantpattengill.org
Bryant/Pattengill Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/BryantPattengillPTO
Bryant/Pattengill on Twitter: https://twitter.com/bryantpattengil
Submissions for Thursday Notes should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is Tuesday at 5pm each week.